Motor vehicle licensing is the most widely used service of the Clark County Clerk’s office.
Motor vehicle license plates are renewed in the owners birth month with the exception of personalized and specialty plates. You must provide a current KY insurance card. You may also provide the current registration and/or renewal notice received in the mail.
Accepted methods of payment are cash, money order, cashier check, and personal checks on LOCAL BANKS ONLY. We also accept Debit and Credit cards, as well as American Express.
You also have a chance to donate to worthy causes at the time of renewal. Below are donation options:
- Child Care Assistance Program
- Veteran’s Trust fund
When renewing your motor vehicle you have 3 options:
- Renew online: You can renew your registration online through the Kentucky Motor Vehicle Licensing System. Visit their website to get started. RENEW NOW. You will receive your completed renewal by mail in 3 – 5 business days.
- Mail-In Renewal Service: A $2.00 fee is added to cover postage and handling. Send registration certificate, current KY insurance card, and payment (plus a $2.00 mail-in fee) to Clark County Clerk, PO Box 40392, Winchester, KY 40392. You will receive your completed renewal by mail in 3 – 5 business days.
- Renew in Person:
County Clerk’s Office
34 South Main Street, Room 109
Winchester, KY 40392
When renewing your motor vehicle remember these important items:
- Proof of current Kentucky liability insurance is required for all vehicles.
- You may also provide the current registration and/or renewal notice received in the mail
- All titling transactions require odometer disclosure.
- Kentucky law requires a person purchasing a vehicle or moving an out-of-state vehicle into Kentucky to make application for title within 15 days.
- Vehicles coming from another state must have a Vehicle Identification Number inspection before titling in Kentucky.
- Motor vehicle license plates are renewed in the owners birth month with the exception of personalized and specialty plates
- Special Plates are available for additional fees. Click here to see our special plates.
Motor Boat Renewals
All motor boat registrations and transfers are handled by the County Clerk’s Office. Kentucky law requires all boats having motors to be registered if operated on public waters. To register a boat you must have your registration certificate. Boat renewals and property tax payments may be processed in the same ways that you renew a motor vehicle (see above) except by the internet.
To correspond with us in writing, please write to:
Clark County Clerk’s Office
P.O. Box 4060
Winchester, KY 40391
To contact us by phone please call: 859.745.0280